Cokesbury United Methodist Church, Cokesbury, NJ
The early settlers of Cokesbury and vicinity include the Philhower, Apgar, Welsh, Melick, and Hoffman families. The Philhower family emigrated from Germany in the mid-1700s and religion played an important part in their lives. The first Methodist church built, in what was then referred to as “Cokesburg”, was a barn-like structure constructed around 1810. As the surrounding area began to grow and prosper the need for a larger, more permanent church building became apparent. In 1851, the permanent structure we see today (photo at left) with its majestic ionic-style columns, was completed.
The Philhower family played an esteemed role in the church’s beginnings and in its continued support. Through the family’s participation in Sunday School teaching, their financial support, and their donation of one of the beautiful memorial stained glass windows, their presence is an indelible mark on the history of the church, the town of Cokesbury, and the surrounding neighborhoods. This makes it the natural choice to hold the Philhower Family Association’s annual reunion. This year we continue in the tradition by enjoying our 102nd family reunion at the Cokesbury United Methodist Church on Saturday, September 7, 2019.